Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Depths of Despair

St. Paul begins its slope down to the Mississippi River just across the street from my apartment building. From my second-story window, I can't see the river, but I can make out the trees on its opposite shore. This is the Mighty Mississippi, on which riverboat sailors once called out the depths as their ships glided south--of course, south.

Two fathoms of navigable water? "Mark twain!"

Today a man's voice booms into my living room through the windows I've opened to let the summer air in. "ONE!" His voice is an angry bark, as if he's spotted that good-for-nothing One who took all his money and knocked up his sister, kicked his dog, and left town months ago. Ah, but now he's got him in his sights. Don't you walk away from him, One! He sees you. "ONE!"

"TWO!" he bellows. His voice bounces sharply off the concrete retaining wall that sinks the community center's basketball court down into the hillside. I can't see the court from my window, but this time I notice the metallic thump of a basketball hitting the rim of the hoop, followed by several soft, quick bounces on concrete. I stop what I am doing and admire the man's courage. He's decided to better his game and to bravely announce his progress to the world.

Thump. Bounce.

"GOD DAMN FUCKING SHIT-FUCK!"

Oh, dear.

There is a moment of silence.

"ONE!"

I ask about him the next time I go to the community center gym and discover that he is actually "a very nice man" whose Tourette syndrome unfortunately prevents him from exaggerating his abilities on the court. Day after day, the Tourettes Baller, as I've come to call him, strives to improve his game, but his curses ring through the neighborhood, stopping mothers in their tracks, their trailing toddlers running into the backs of their suddenly immobile legs. Middle-aged middle-class fathers hover around the court, rehearsing their speeches to him about how much they'd appreciate it, man, if he'd watch his language around all these kids.

But no one ever really confronts him. The twangs of his ball bouncing off the metal hoop reverberate down the street, and he never gets past twain.

5 comments:

Tejas said...

Only thing outside of my window are the fifteen giant spiders gleefully feeding on bugs.

Jaybird said...

How's the rent in a giant spiderweb?

Pilcrow said...

(Best photo evar, by the way. :P)

Windows? Mine are perpetually covered. K&M saw my bedroom window already (purty sheet), and I never open the blinds on my big sliding glass door things since I'm RIGHT NEXT TO THE BUILDING ENTRANCE. Yeah.

Pfffft, windows.

I love your description of the metaphorical "one," also. Cute.

But confronting people about behaviors like that is a scary thing; most people would rather just call the police or something if it's particularly *bad*, but...

Meh.

Soleil said...

OMGPONIES!!1!! I'm tagging you for a meme. Don't you just love to say "tagging you for a meme"? Plus, it's like an internet law, so you can't legally not do it. Although I'm sure you'll want to do it, because you're not a real blogger until you've done one. Don't worry; I chose a movie one because I know you like movies. Here you go:

1. Name a movie that you have seen more than 10 times.
2. Name a movie that you’ve seen multiple times in the theater.
3. Name an actor that would make you more inclined to see a movie.
4. Name an actor that would make you less likely to see a movie.
5. Name a movie that you quote from.
6. Name a movie that you keep meaning to see but just haven’t yet gotten around to it.
7. Ever walked out of a movie?
8. What’s the first movie you remember seeing in the theater?
9. What movie do you wish you had never seen?
10. Name a movie that you would recommend everyone see.

Jaybird said...

I have no idea what you're talking about, but I will answer your questions because they're kind of fun.
1. Shawn of the Dead
2. Any of the Lord of the Rings. Nerd.
3. Christian Bale (Carryin' the banner!)
4. Robin Williams
5. The Big Lebowski
6. West Side Story
7. NEVER! (But I should have walked out of Inland Empire. Wanted to. Badly.)
8. Crocodile Dundee II
9. Inland Empire, Crocodile Dundee II
10. Children of Men